Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pimp My Mobile

So today I finally finished Little Man's mobile of awesomeness. I wanted it to be more interesting for him, so I went to Hobby Lobby a couple months ago in search of things that caught my eye. This is what I ended up with.



Now, I'm not nearly creative enough to make the mobile myself. This was a chintzy peice of trash we ordered off of Amazon. I bought it because it matched the theme of his room, but I regret it. It had little stuffed creatures that hung funny and were kind of creepy. And it felt flimsy. So I turned this:

Lambs and Ivy Enchanted Forest Musical Mobile




into something far more fitting. I plan to add some of the foam stickers to the top white peice, but haven't gotten that far yet.

The point of a mobile is to keep a baby entertained in the crib. When he looked up at this, he saw creepy stuffed butts and white plastic sticks. So I took it on myself to make it more interesting. I added a mirror at the center, brightly colored foam shapes, so sparklies and of course new cool danglers.





To start I wrapped the plastic arms in gold duck tape to reinforce it and make it stronger. Then I added the mirror, hot gluing it to the arms. I found a bowl in the kitchen slightly smaller than the mirror and traced around it on the back side of the foam, then cut it out. I hot glued the mirror to the foam, then wrapped the edges around the frame to secure the mirror in place. Finally I attached interesting objects at the end of each arm: mirrored disco balls, foil twist ties, a toy pompom, and strings of beads. Since some items were heavier than others, I used magnets to balance the arms.

Sorry it's overly bright, but it was a hard angle to shoot and this is the best of the lot.

Once that was all done, I added the foam cutouts and the rhinestone flowers. There are four colored butterflies, four dragonflies, two lady bugs, two rhinestone flowers and four foam flowers with leaves. I chose simple shapes that it was easy for Little MAn to understand and bright colors that would draw his attention. I have it hanging out of his crib wight now until I'm certain the whole thing isn't going to come crashing down on him. It was a chintzy mobile to start with after all. 

If you find yourself shopping for a mobile, remember, it's for baby not you. A quick search on Amazon reveled tons of cute ones, like this classic one, or this awesome flower one.

No comments:

Post a Comment